Friday, February 13, 2009

self-love is awesome

Here's what amuses me about the people who are afraid that doing the 25 Things note on facebook will make them appear narcissistic:

You are already on facebook. That means I at least know your name, what you look like, and what school you went to, three things I probably don't actually give a shit about (let's not even mention your terrible taste in movies or your lame favorite quotes, unless they are totally awesome, like mine, and if you can't see that, you should really think about getting a personality transplant).

I am also amused that the LA Times, the New York Times, and Time Magazine all did articles lamenting how annoying the note was and ended each article by writing 25 things about themselves in some form or another, whether it was 25 facts (LA Times) or 25 failed attempts to be clever (NY Times). At least the list in Time was legitimately hilarious, ironically because it was a list of actual things people had written in their 25 Things notes. Psst--listen, Claire, take it from an expert. Even if you are writing about 25 things you don't care about, you are still writing 25 things about yourself.

It's so brilliant. Because the best way to stick it to those narcissists is a) to feed their egos by addressing their behavior in the actual media, and b) to show them that if you do a 25 Things note in a publication while simultaneously disparaging it, it exempts you from being a narcissist.

Really. I am as impressed with these writers as I am with people who "don't friend people first, they always friend me."

2 comments:

notes from the music box steps said...

just in case your narcissism hadn't already've made it abundantly clear, you're a comedic genius.

undo button said...

of course i knew that, but you can never remind narcissists enough how great they are, so thank you.