Lawyers are an awkward bunch. But the most amusing are those who try to be cool about being awkward. They like to point out the awkwardness in a situation because it makes them feel a little less stupid, even if doing so usually worsens the situation. "It's awkward, but I know that already," they are reassuring us, "and if I say it first, I can pre-empt your judgment of me." A typical situation is, for example, when two people first meet at a bar.
"Hi."
"Hi."
Silence.
"Well. This is awkward."
Now they have diagnosed the situation, creating the illusion that *they* are not usually awkward. But in fact, they must be, else why would they feel prompted to point out awkwardness and increase the discomfort in the first place?
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Which leads to a feedback loop, and they eventually drift apart.
Awkward, ain't it?
Post a Comment