Sunday, November 29, 2009

ninja assassin

Last night, my family and I did something we haven't done together in twelve years--we went to see a movie. As you can imagine, since my parents don't really speak English, there is nothing more boring for them than to be trapped in a theater in front of a loud movie that doesn't have Korean subtitles. They made an exception, though, for Ninja Assassin, a movie that stars Rain, one of Korea's most famous pop stars. My parents were fascinated by the idea that he would speak English in the film. My sister and I, on the other hand, were going to check out his hot bod.

Since my dad is a fan of action films, he was especially excited to watch the movie, right up until the first fifteen minutes, when he realized that our beloved Korean pop icon was playing a Japanese character. "Why is he pretending he is Japanese?" he demanded.

I explained to him that white people thought all Asians looked alike, and in Hollywood inter-Asian casting happened all the time.

"You mean they can't tell us apart?!" he barked.

My poor dad. Here he was, looking forward to a blood-letting action film, and he ended up too distracted by Rain being Japanese and food coma to enjoy himself. My sister and I, on the other hand, got what we went there for. Rain is smokin'.

No comments: