Tuesday, April 3, 2007

my oriental eyes

I lost one of my contact lenses, so I went in yesterday to get them replaced. Now, I've always worn gas permeable (hard) lenses because my prescription is ridiculous (about a -12), so I asked how much they were. This is what the doctor said.

"I don't know anyone who wears gas permeable lenses nowadays. I know that people of the oriental persuasion tend to have small eyes--so on that side of the world, they prescribe hard lenses. But on this side of the world, we use soft lenses."

So I'm a little confused. Do I stick to hard lenses on account of my chinky eyes, or do I switch to soft lenses so I can assimilate to "this side of the world"?

I forgive him. He was like 90.

2 comments:

charisse said...

I say...wear what you are used to. (Changing contacts can be a pain). My eyes are at like -7, but I don't have an astigmatism and so soft lenses are fine. My dad, however, uses hard lenses and always has. Soft lenses don't stay in his eyes.

Anonymous said...

Lots of people still wear gas permeable lenses if their eyes are too screwy shaped to hold a soft lens. -12 probably counts.