Saturday, August 1, 2009

margaret cho

Last night, I was out at dinner, and one of my friends remarked on the fact that I and one of his other Korean friends reminded him a lot of Margaret Cho. "Why is that?" he asked.

The answer is simple. Korean mothers are totally insane. They are unexplainably crazy, whimsical creatures who introduce themselves to your friends at your law school graduation by wordlessly giving them a peppermint. They ask you constantly if your Korean gay boyfriends are "still gay," hoping that maybe you will marry one of them. They emotionally torture you while also being there for you in your darkest moments, thereby making it impossible to love or hate them completely. And most importantly, they are completely convinced that society believes that they are normal, thereby allowing them the confidence to do and say ridiculous things, like singing operatically while on a public hiking trail (apparently it's good for your stomach), without fear of public censure.

I remind my friend of Margaret Cho because we both have ridiculous Korean mothers. She was just smart enough to make a career out of telling America about hers. Also she is talented and hilarious. But that is secondary, I think, to the fact that her Korean mom is almost as whacky as mine.

No comments: